When I was at BYU staying in the Glenwood apartments our ward covered two different apartments. In between those single student apartments were a bunch of married student apartments. I would regularly travel over to the other apartments as many of my friends lived there. One night I was at home and had the impression that I should go over and visit some friends in the other apartments. I usually called to make sure they were home, but in this instance felt like I should just go. So I did...and for some reason I also went a different path than normal, I wasn't sure why at the time, but I just went.
I crossed the street and into the married apartments and as I walked down the sidewalk I ran into Jason Howard, an old friend who I had grown up with. Jason probably stands around 6 foot 4 and was a big man, but a gentle giant with a huge heart. I was so excited to see Jason that I ran up and gave him a big bear hug and he groaned out loud. I asked him if he was okay and with tears in his eyes he told me he needed my help and asked me if I could come with him...we walked around the corner and down some steps into the small apartment where his wife, and if I remember correctly, baby child, had just moved.
Jason explained that he had just moved into this apartment within the last week, had gone through a sudden and major surgery (which explained why he was in pain with my bear hug), that his wife and baby were not doing well, and with all this he was really struggling to stay afloat in school and in life. He told me that he needed a priesthood blessing, but didn't know anyone where they lived yet, and that he had just been in his bedroom praying to Heavenly Father for help because he had nowhere else to turn. When he finished his prayer the Spirit told him to go outside...so he did. And there I was...and there he was. A loving and kind Father had heard his prayer and answered.
I don't recall any strong feelings to go across the street that night...I recall just a thought and a gentle nudge. At the time I left my apartment I didn't know I was following the Holy Ghost to go help someone, but I'm grateful that in that moment I was able to be a tool in our Heavenly Father's hands. Through the authority of the Priesthood, Jason and his family were able to receive the blessing that he had requested of his Heavenly Father.
My testimony that Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ know each and every one of us, and that they in actuality do hear our prayers, and know our needs, sorrows, pains, and joys was confirmed and strengthened. We won't always feel that love or see their hands in our lives because part of the plan is for us to live by Faith. But they love and are intimately aware of each one of us. I know it. And that night Jason and I both had a witness of that truth.
- Cori
Oh, I remember Jason and his parents! Have you kept in touch with him? I love this blog!!!! It is like a daily devotional! Thank you for sharing your testiomy and special experiences. Love Mom
ReplyDelete