From 2013-2017 when we moved 7 times, got my MBA, had Matheson, and started working at Chevron, I think I fell into living the gospel by rote, not intentionally. I think I was also living below my privileges by not attending the temple very often. I did not feel joy from daily gospel living. and there were several years where I don’t remember feeling the spirit strongly at all. Once we were settled in Houston I started to be more intentional about living the gospel and began to attend the temple regularly, but became frustrated for a time because I still was not feeling the spirit like I had during other periods in my life.
Then last December I had the special opportunity to confirm a girl from our ward after she was baptized. It was the daughter of a single sister that I home taught for a while (before the change to ministering). It was a great experience for me. I fasted that day to know what to bless her with and I felt the spirit very strongly during and after the blessing. It was warmth, peace, joy, and an affirmation from Heavenly Father that I’m on the right track. I continued to feel that warmth and comfort all day, especially when I took time to record the event in my journal.
It happened again with Joshua’s confirmation. Another very strong impression from from the spirit about being on the right track and a warm comfortable feeling that lasted all day and came back quite strongly when I wrote about it in my journal a few days later. These were tender mercies for me because it had been missing from my life for some time!
Thanks for sharing this Ethan! I've had similar times in life where it feels like I'm just cruising along, and not intentional. Those moments where we feel the spirit so strongly are special.
ReplyDelete