Back in the late 1980s personal computers were a new item in homes. We had purchased a computer and at first, I felt little nudges, then later I began to feel very strongly that I should take classes and learn how to use the computer and some of the computer programs that were available then, specifically - Word Perfect and Excel (a spreadsheet program). I went to a Community Ed class in Payson and it was Beginning computer - but it was pretty basic - they were teaching how to turn a computer on, how to open a program, etc. Back then, everything was done by key strokes, the computer "mouse" had not been invented yet. So we learned key strokes to make the computer do what you wanted it to do. I then felt that I should go through the Word Perfect Manual and I did every lesson that they had. I then found an Excel class taught by UVU at Spanish Fork High School in the evening and I signed up to take that class. So in a couple of years I had learned to work a computer and the basics in Word Perfect and Excel
When Tiffany started kindergarten in 1992, a man in our ward, Brian Smith, who ran several businesses from his home and worked at Novell, said that he was looking for someone to do database entry part-time. I told him I was interested in the job and he had me come and do some data entry, then hired me. While I was working for Brian, our circumstances changed drastically. Randy lost his job and was without a job for months. One day, while I was working for Brian, he told me that things had changed at Novell and they were going to bring the data entry job that I was doing back in house, so he wouldn't have any more work for me in two weeks time. I walked home in tears, with such a heavy heart that day and was just praying so hard. Before the two weeks were over, Brian told me that the department he worked in at Novell was creating a new association for people who used Novell products and they were looking for someone that could come in and work on the computers and do some data entry for a short time. I started going in to work at Novell in May. Meanwhile, I had been fasting and praying and asking Heavenly Father to help Randy find a job and told Him that it would be the best birthday present ever if Randy would be able to find a job by June 8th.
On my birthday, June 8th, I went in to work and Brent Sharp, the new Director of NetWare Users International, offered me a full time job there as his Administrative Assistant. I had the overwhelming impression that this was the answer to my heartfelt fasting and prayer, even though it wasn't quite what I expected or had been praying for, I knew it was the right thing. It turned out to be the most wonderful job I could have ever asked for. We were blessed with exactly what we needed at just the right time.
I know without a shadow of a doubt that Heavenly Father loves us and is so mindful of our needs. He knows what is coming down the road for us and helps us to prepare for those challenges. And I am so grateful for those little nudges and pushes that I felt from the Holy Ghost to help me get moving forward! The job that I had and the things that I learned also helped me when I was finally able to go back and finish my degree at BYU.
Wonderful, sweet tender mercies.
Love,
Sandy Osburn ~ Mom and Grammie O
I love hearing these stories Mom. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDelete