While I was listening to General Conference in October 2013, Elder Robert D Hales gave a wonderful talk on "General Conference, Strengthening Faith and Testimony." In this talk he told us basically how to get the most out of General Conference. He talked about how we should pray to understand and how to apply in our own lives what we are hearing. He said that when he takes notes, he doesn't write down what the speaker is saying, but rather what the spirit is teaching him. I always take notes - but generally I write things that resonate with me - what the speaker is saying, rather than listening to what the spirit is telling me. Anyway, during Elder Hales talk, I distinctly heard the spirit say, "The Living Christ, Memorize it!" I thought that is interesting, I have wanted to memorize "The Family Proclamation" but never once thought about memorizing "The Living Christ." So after conference, I set that as a goal. I made a copy of "The Living Christ," and read through it a couple of times, then I just forgot all about it.
While listening to General Conference in October 2014, Sister Neill Marriott mentioned that she went to a YW camp in Alaska, where 900 Young Women had memorized "The Living Christ," and on the third night, all the Young Women and their leaders stood and recited it together . . . "and the spirit filled that vast hall . . ." It reminded me of the spirit's prompting almost a year ago during General Conference, and once again I felt that I needed to memorize "The Living Christ."
I have been working on it! Memorization is difficult for me, so I have made this a matter of prayer and have asked Heavenly Father to help me to remember these beautiful words. I have only memorized the first two paragraphs, but that means I am about 25% of the way! It is so beautiful and as I read and re-read and repeat it over and over, the spirit of the Lord fills my soul with gratitude for our Savior and His life, His atonement, His mercy and grace.
I should have had this done a year ago - but it is my goal to have it all memorized by the upcoming April Conference 2015. . . anybody want to join me?
Love you all!
Mom O
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.