I have been preparing to teach our Relief Society Lesson on Prayer and I was reminded of an incredible experience that Arianne and I had years ago. Arianne was going to school at SUU and for one of her classes she needed to spend a few days working in an elementary school class. She was assigned to go down to an elementary school in Henderson, Nevada. I took a few days off work to go down with her.
We stopped on our way down and spent the night with Mom and Dad Rockwood at their home in St George. We left early the next morning for Las Vegas, it was still dark and we left so we would have plenty of time to get Arianne there before school started. As we were driving down the suburban started to act funny. When I pressed on the gas, it was like nothing was happening and the engine would slow down. We were going through "The Gorge" south of St. George when the car just stopped all together. I was able to get over to the side of the road, in an area where we were off the road enough to be safe from all the huge diesel trucks going by. This was before we had cell phones and even if we would have had a cell phone, we would not have had coverage in that canyon. The car engine would not start at all and I wondered what are we going to do? Arianne suggested that we say a prayer and ask Heavenly Father for his help. So we did. We asked Heavenly Father to please help us to get to the next closest town where we could get some help.
After the prayer was finished, I turned the key in the ignition and the suburban started right up. We drove, passing some very small towns along the way, but nothing looked large enough to have an auto shop. The car still felt like it wasn't getting gas as I pressed on the gas pedal, but we kept moving, albeit slowly. We turned off at the first exit at Mesquite and sort of limped into the closest 7-11, where they had a pay phone. Once again the engine just died and I could not get it to start again. I called AAA and they said they would send a tow truck to pick us up then I called Ray and told him what was happening. He said it sounded like a clogged fuel filter.
The tow truck took us across town to a repair shop, where a mechanic had a look at the car. He told me it was a clogged fuel filter and they would need to replace it. It took a couple of hours to fix the car. When the mechanic came back to the office where we were waiting, he said to me, "Where did you say you first broke down?" I told him it was in the gorge, just out of St George. He said to me, "That is impossible! As clogged as that fuel filter was, there is no way you could have driven that car from the Gorge to here - there is no way the engine could have gotten any gas!" I just told him, "It was a miracle - an answer to prayer."
I know without a shadow of doubt that Heavenly Father answered our prayer that day and helped us get to where we could get help, but also guided us to an honest and fair mechanic I know Heavenly Father lives and He hears and answers our prayers and is mindful of our smallest needs as well as the big ones.
Love
Mom O
Love that story. Thanks for sharing Mom! Prayer is an amazing gift. :)
ReplyDelete